top of page

TV/Movie Recs from the Peanut Gallery, Vol. 4

If you get a TV or movie rec from the Peanut Gallery, you know it's good.

The fourth set of recommendations from the Peanut Gallery

The first, second, and third version of the Peanut Gallery's TV/movie recommendation series have not disappointed. Our fourth set of recs again hits the spot for both movies and TV.

Check them out. Enjoy.

Steve's Recommendation: The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live

The Peanut Gallery highly recommends The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live

The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live is everything I could have asked for with the return of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and Michonne (Danai Gurira). The power couple of The Walking Dead universe, The Ones Who Live reunites these two lost loves after nearly eight years (storyline wise) apart. A bunch of new, interesting faces and one or two familiar ones help flesh out this amazing story that shows the lengths these two survivors will go for love and family, no matter the odds. Action, zombies, and love have never been done quite like this and it’s all the better for it.

Available on AMC and AMC+.

Josh's Recommendation: Tokyo Vice, Season 2

The Peanut Gallery highly recommends Season 2 of Tokyo Vice

Tokyo Vice, Season 2 (available on Max). The sophomore run of the Japanese crime drama ups the ante in every department. Loosely based on Jake Adelstein’s memoir, the gritty series continues to set the standard for all things Yakuza.

Matt's Recommendation(s): Dog Soldiers and The Descent

The Peanut Gallery highly recommends The Descent and Dog Soldiers

Let me take you back about 20ish years to two horror movies that will send a chill down your spine. Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers and The Descent.

Dog Soldiers (2002) is about a routine military exercise in the Scottish wilderness that turns horrible. Besieged by werewolves, a team of soldiers must fight back to survive. Tons of tension and chills with a lot of wonderful practical effects. Bring your silver bullet and enjoy.

Follow this up with The Descent (2005) which follows a group of adventure seekers who are exploring a cave. They become trapped and are then hunted by some grotesque creatures. The main character has a tragic backstory which motivates a lot of her actions. Marshall does an amazing job of disorienting his audience with contrasting lighting and colors that also elevates the suspense and claustrophobia. A masterful horror film that you need to check out.

You can watch The Descent on Hulu or Amazon Prime, and you can watch Dog Soldiers on Pluto TV, the Roku Channel, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

Sheehan's Recommendation: The Way, Way Back

The Peanut Gallery highly recommends The Way, Way Back

Sam Rockwell has long been one of my favorite actors. He's had his share of prominent roles recently, but I still think he should be in higher demand. The Way, Way Back, an excellent coming-of-age tale (a bildungsroman, if you want to sound smart), features Rockwell as a hilarious, deadbeat owner of a water park on the Cape. Our hero, a shy boy named Duncan (Liam James), comes across Rockwell (Owen) and his waterpark by chance, and the cast of characters he meets ends up changing the trajectory of his life.

Steve Carrell does an excellent job as Owen's mom's asshole boyfriend and the main villain. Toni Collette is his mom. She might be the patron saint of playing a mother with an introverted young son whose dad isn't in the picture (this movie, along with The Sixth Sense, and About a Boy). Maya Rudolph works in the park with Sam Rockwell and is his on-again, off-again girlfriend.

You can watch The Way, Way Back on Apple TV or Amazon Prime.

Subscribe now for updates on the latest and greatest banter from the Peanut Gallery!

Recent Posts

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter