top of page

Nutshell: 2022 NBA Summer Check-In

A rundown of big trades and rule changes so far in the 2022 NBA offseason.

Rule Changes:

Finally! We will see less "take fouls." The NBA Board of Governors have voted to increase the penalty of a "take foul," defined as a "transition play where a player is blatantly fouled to stop what would otherwise be a possession where the offense has a strong advantage." It used to just be a common foul and possession for the team on offense, now it's a foul with one free throw and possession for the offensive team. "Take fouls" have been annoying AF to watch; it kills exciting fast break plays and instantly slows the pace of the game. Fans like exciting and fast. Not only do we see the above mentioned reduced, now you won't see a star player commit a brainless "take foul" in the 1st quarter and quickly get himself in foul trouble, limiting him later in the game.

The play-in game is here to stay. I'm a simpleton. I see basketball - I watch. So I like this a lot. This allows players to continue playing hard when their team would otherwise be out of contention. The same goes for fan bases. It really just increases the intensity of NBA postseason hoops.

Moves:

A number of teams have made moves this summer, but three stand out to me.

Hawks and Spurs:

Dejounte Murray goes to the Hawks for Danilo Gallinari, a 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte from New York, protected), a 2025 first-round pick, a 2026 pick swap, and a 2027 first-round pick. Atlanta definitely stumbled a bit this past season after a really good year prior. Murray has the potential to drop a trippy-dub any night and will certainly take some load off Trae, who really needed help. Good add for the Hawks and the Spurs can now get back to building.

Celtics and Pacers:

The C's unloaded Daniel Theis, Aaron Nesmith, Nik Stauskas, Malik Fitts, Juwan Morgan and a 2023 first-round pick to the Pacers for Malcolm Brogdon. This was a really good move for the C's, who sorely lacked someone who can organize the offense. Brogdon is versatile on defense and an excellent playmaker. He also averaged almost 19 points and over 6 dimes per game in the last three seasons with Indiana. Surrounded by better players, I see those assists going up. The question is, will he be able to stay on the court?

Timberwolves and Jazz:

Rudy Gobert to the Wolves for a CVS receipt of players and draft picks. Gobert is a tremendous defender and rebounder averaging 15.6 points and nearly 15 boards per game. He will be joining a Wolves team that has a Big 3 of KAT, Anthony Edwards, and D'Angelo Russell. With three good offensive players, Rudy will be able to focus more on defense and rebounding...but don't get me wrong, he's still going to score. Minnesota is going to be a dangerous team next season.

Next up...if the Yankees continue winning at a torrid pace, look for Kevin Durant to join them.

Subscribe now for updates on the latest and greatest banter from the Peanut Gallery!

Recent Posts

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter